We are committed to providing a safe, inspiring and nurturing environment that can meet the needs of young people who are struggling in a mainstream setting. We are also focused on identifying individuals who are so often overlooked due to their anxieties presenting in ways that are not disruptive to the group. After all, any behaviour is a form of communication of what can be difficult thoughts and feelings.
We aim to provide practical, outdoor and creative activities to provide young people with:
- valuable and transferable skills
- meaningful and therapeutic experiences
- strong relationships based on compassion and understanding
- a deeper insight, which will develop and encourage emotional and social growth
- an increased self-awareness.
We will have a culture firmly rooted in the therapeutic approach in order to provide reflection and space for growth and support for the young people accessing the service, their families and our growing team. We hope to offer training and outreach services to other organisations in the long term.
Meeting the need
The organisation is a not for profit social enterprise which aims to meet a very real and growing need.
Sadly, the current education system has been and will be under a great deal of pressure with limited resources to meet the needs of young people who have complex needs, anxiety issues and/or present challenging behaviour.
Often, these individuals slip through the net or end up disengaged from school and their wider network, which can have a devastating effect on their lives.
We’ve created our own robust methods for monitoring each student’s progression and achievement depending on the programmes they are on; these will allow staff, individual and peer marking.
- Personal target setting will take place each term with students and they will be empowered to take ownership of these. The achievement of AQA Unit Awards and other qualifications will be monitored to help illustrate successes and progression for individuals. In-house certificates will be produced to allow for immediate recognition whilst students wait for official certificates to come through.
- Photobooks will be produced to give students reminders of positive moments and achievements from different programmes; and for older students portfolios will be made to help them with their next steps onto further education, training or employment.
- The real measure for our programmes will be that students either make improvements in school or progress onto a positive next step in their learning and personal development.